Permission To Feel: Unlocking The Power of Emotions To Help Our Kids, Ourselves and Our Society Thrive
Permission To Feel is a book about emotions and...
how they play a vital role in our cognitive processes, physical health and relationships. The author, Marc Brackett, Ph.D., speaks to the importance of emotional intelligence and the implications for educators in classrooms. By giving ourselves permission to experience all of our emotions, we can reduce stress and increase our well-being and the well-being of our students.
Graduate Credits/Clock Hours: 3 Quarter Graduate Credits offered through Seattle Pacific University or 30 Clock Hours offered.
WA State OSPI clock hours offered through approved provider ESD 112
State of Nevada Department of Education Approved Provider
Texas Education Agency Approved CPE provider.
Required Reading: Permission To Feel, Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive, by Marc Brackett, Ph.D.Log in to enroll
You need to log in to enroll in a course
1) Purchase and read Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive, by Marc Brackett, Ph.D. You can find this book at amazon.com or your favorite bookstore.
NOTE: Be mindful of the book you purchase. There are other books with a similar title.
2) Write complete answers to all of the questions on the Book Study Handout. The handout is provided to you after registration is completed.
3) Write a 2-3 page paper detailing how you will address each of the five RULER Skills in your classroom: Recognizing Emotion, Understanding Emotion, Labeling Emotion, Expressing Emotion and Regulating Emotion.
- Consider your own education setting and talk about each of the five RULER Skills.
- Discuss which skill(s) will be the easiest to address, which skill(s) will be the hardest to address, and why.
All 3 assignments must be completed within 1 year. Upload completed handout and paper to your Dashboard on the website or email all completed assignments and paperwork to email@example.com.
SPU NOTE: Please be sure to register prior to completing any coursework. Registering for a course after coursework has been started violates accreditation standards and puts the University at risk; therefore, SPU reserves the right to not award credit if students are found to be in violation of this policy.
2) The rubric for the Book Study Handout is broken down into (3) goal areas.
The first goal area pertains to questions #1-24 on the handout. You will simply need to answer these questions and earn a “1”, “2”, “3”, or “4” according to the rubric.
The second goal area pertains to questions #25-50 on the handout. You will simply need to answer these questions and earn a “1”, “2”, “3”, or “4” according to the rubric.
The third goal area pertains to questions #51-65 on the handout. You will simply need to answer these questions and earn a “1”, “2”, “3”, or “4” according to the rubric.
The maximum number of combined points that can be earned is 16 (12 points for the answers to the questions on the handout and 4 points for the reflection paper).
3) The rubric for Permission To Feel Paper explains how to earn a “1”, “2”, “3” or “4”.
“A” grade = 15-16 points
“B” grade = 14-15 points
“C” grade = 12-13 points
“D” grade = 10-11 points
“E” grade = 9 points or less
An “NC” (No Credit) grade will be given if all (3) assignments are not completed within (1) year.
Earn 3 graduate level quarter credits offered through Seattle Pacific University, an accredited university. Additional $180 fee, payable to SPU. You must register with SPU first to earn graduate credit.
Students also have the option of earning 30 Clock Hours. Other known terms include, but are not limited to, Professional Development Hours, Professional Development Points, Continuing Education Units, Professional Development Units or your school district's equivalent language for clock hours earned.
A Certificate of Completion will be provided once coursework is reviewed and graded.
Note: WA State Educators have the option of earning 30 Clock Hours offered through ESD 112. Educator is responsible for the $3 per clock hour fee. ESD clock hour claim code will be forwarded to you once the course is completed.
Online book studies that have not been accessed are refundable within 5 days of purchase date. No refund will be issued on any assignment that has been accessed, viewed, or partially completed. Online training courses may not be transferred to another student.
SPU refunds per SPU policy. Please visit their website for more information.